Tuesday 20 July 2010

How to get your budgie to bathe

When we first got our budgies we bought one of those “clip to the side of the cage” baths for £4-5 from the pet shop, a yellow one I believe. We tried all we could to get them into it, splish splashing about with our fingers, putting millet or lettuce in it but no, they were scared of the damn thing (not been in it to this day)

Eventually we realised that they would only get into a vessel if it was see-through, their suspicious natures no doubt!

So we got them a Pyrex pie dish to bathe in and they love it, especially if the water is diluted with camomile tea.

Something new though is that if I put the three coloured ping pong balls in the water then they jump in straight away and make a huge mess splashing about – especially Roswell and Jerry!

Monty likes it too, Snowy is not much of a bather but will get in the bath if I hold it up for him – I think he likes me to be the life-guard in case one of the other budgies jump in and he gets trapped. Bath time seems safer for him if it’s heavily policed, which is fine.

Monty and Jerry also like to rub themselves against Parsley in a rather perverse manner!

Monty and a Curly Parsley session

budgies 20-7-10 019

 

Jerry Day-Dreams on the swing

budgies 20-7-10 020

 

Ping Pong bath

budgies 20-7-10 004

 

Roswell “I always loved the Discovery Zone”

budgies 20-7-10 007

2 comments:

  1. Hey, great idea about throwing toys in the bath to entice them in... I should try this with my girls - a mirror might work. :)

    My girls love a roll about in dill. They don't do anything perverse though, just roll. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they do love to look at their beautiful feathery selves so a mirror is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete