Thursday 8 September 2011

Abbie's Lucky Escape

I flew into a blind panic yesterday when I got home and could not find Abbie.

I always have a head count when I have been out or before I leave to make sure that the fiends are safe.

The other eight birds were quiet. I went over to each of them and said frantically "Where's Abbie?!" as I ransacked the front room, carefully lifting up items to see if she had crawled underneath.

Then I had a thought, the day before my husband and I were discussing how Abbie keeps exhibiting nesting behaviour and trying to get behind things.

There was a small gap behind Blueboy and Hectors cage that I had blocked up (or so I thought) the day before.

I put my ear to the bookshelves and could hear a light scrabbling sound. She had fallen behind the bookshelves. I lifted off Blueboy and Hectors cage, pulled away the stack of DVD's and pulled out the bookcase. She manically flew out. It was a foot drop to the floor but luckily she was fine.

The bookcase has been completely pushed to the wall now so there is no gap. We can't get to the DVD's but that is a small price to pay.

I am so glad she's okay.

She immediately flew up to the rings and started preening herself. Hector seemed glad to see her as he launched into feeding mode.

4 comments:

  1. Oh that's a horrible feeling when you can't find one of them! It happened to me once when I only had the 2 girls. I came out the kitchen & they had gone... & it was quiet too... Turned out they'd both landed behind the telly. Very glad Abbie is safe. It was clever of all the other fiends to stay quiet so you could listen for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only Hector clucked at me in his weird way. It's like he was telling me something was up but he didn't know where she was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness you found her. It is good idea to remove/clean up any clutter and definitely close any gap where these little "fiends" could get wedged in between objects. It's a good feeling to find the missing bird. I know it is a relief because we would find some parakeets upstairs, one behind a big mirror, or even inside a chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew. Nice save. Unfortunately, it's really hard to figure out all the places where they might get stuck or into trouble, until it happens.

    ReplyDelete