Saturday 5 February 2011

Boisterous fiends splashing about and a dumpling being naughty as usual

The birds had a little bath-ikins yesterday which they seemed to enjoy tremendously - especially Monty. We have a little shallow saucer which my husband thought might make a good "bird bath" so I put a little tepid water in and Monty came bounding over and jumped in it - look at the picture below you can see that he was very enthusiastic about it!

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, I have a confession to make - I call Lilek "Dumpling" - it's his slightly rounded shape and the way he waddles along - of course I mean it affectionately and cutely. He also dives at our plates of food whenever he gets the chance.

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are spent fending him off of toast and pasta - he actually landed on my sandwich yesterday and the day before got some ketchup on his tail from waddling through my husbands food.

I know that he just wants to eat with us as he sees us as part of the flock which is fair enough, so yesterday I sliced up some apple and fed him some from my plate (not the same bits as I was eating obviously) as we watched TV and he seemed vaguely satisfied with that, although I am not sure he liked the apple and he still tried to eat my sandwich!

Maybe if I only ate budgie food there wouldn't be a problem...pass the trill and babycorn!

[
[gallery]

10 comments:

  1. i just stumbled upon your blog, i am a huge fan of budgies but am not able to have any at the moment, so it was nice to read about yours and look at their photos. for now i have two rats, that i must recommend as pets. they are adorable and, perhaps most importantly, never bite! hope you're recovering well after your hospitalisation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'em too, boidy birdies!

    Rats are cool also. We used to have Hamsters, Gerbils and mice, they were fun but I was always too scared to pick them up!

    Thank you for your kind words.

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i got my first pet budgie (given to me by my teacher, he had been the class budgie and she didn't want to keep him) i was scared to touch him! but once i worked on taming him, we became firm friends. next time you come across a friendly rodent, try to pick him up, no need to be afraid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will make it my mission for 2011 to hug a friendly rodent! :)

    What was the budgies name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. psycho... the poor thing was named by the class of 10 year old children by vote. the only "psycho" part about him was when he would suddenly squawk and flap his wings like mad for no particular reason. i realised later these outbursts of joy are common in most budgies. psycho lived to be 16 years old. if his kidneys hadn't started causing him problems, i'm sure he'd still be around. he was quite a bird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw bless little psycho!

    You got any photos?

    16 is a good old age for a budgie, my husband had one called Banjo and he lived to 17 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't have any of psycho on my computer, unfortunately, as the photos were taken way back in the day of analogue photography, and they're stored at my mum's house. i do, however, have a nice photo of another of my old budgies, oscar. i shall email it to you now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oscar is a great name for a budgie :)

    Look forward to seeing him.

    Oooh analogue, I remember that far back....just!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL @ Lilek (aka Dumpling) with ketchup on his tail. Should've got a picture & confused people with this "new mutation"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] Boisterous fiends splashing about and a dumpling being naughty as usual (featheredfiends.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete